[U-Boot-Users] How to load the second u-boot loader from first one

Zang Roy-r61911 tie-fei.zang at freescale.com
Thu Aug 10 17:54:40 CEST 2006

> In message
> <7EA18FDD2DC2154AA3BD6D2F22A62A0E19D66C at zch01exm23.fsl.freesca
> le.net> you wrote:
> >
> > You can build your new u-boot loader with RAM version. Then you can
> > download it into your RAM and run it.
>
> Yes. You can also nail a piano to your knee.
>
> Neither is a good idea, though.
>
> Especially, the "RAM version" is significantly  different
> fromn  the image  the  original poster wanted to test. So it
> is just a wasste of time, as the trest of the most critical
> part (the RAM init  sequence) is still missing.
>
> Please read  the  FAQ.  Both  befroe  asking,  and  before
> answering questions. Thanks.

I read the FAQ.
I still do not think a RAM version u-boot is just "waste of time". It
depends.
If we only want to improve some part of the u-boot, such as "PCI", a RAM
version might be useful. It is more convenience and cheaper.
Finally, we should program the image to flash to verify it.
For the original poster, a ram version u-boot is one choice.
He can backup his flash image to a file with CodeWarrior +
PowerTAP(BDI2000) before programming his new flash image.
I hope my comments do not lead to a wrong direction...
Roy