[U-Boot-Users] MPC8xx chip select configuration at startup

Steve Strublic SStrublic at hypercom.com
Fri Feb 17 22:42:50 CET 2006

> Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > In message <43F6091D.7040901 at paulidav.org> you wrote:
>
> [snip]

> >> That's OK. It will simply limit your SDRAM size to 64M.
> >
> > And my cause other problems as well. Don't do it. Map flash at a
high
> > address.
>
> Just to be explicit: you _must_ map your flash _well_above_
0xC000_0000
> (the start of the linux kernel area) if you want to run linux.

I didn't know that about Linux... but who says I'm going to run Linux?
(OK, I am, just kidding.)

> Since _you_ control BR0 (don't listen to them hardware engineers), you
> can put it anywhere you want.  0xFF00_0000 is a good spot.
0xFFF0_0000
> is not as good of a spot because it limits you to 16MB of flash.
Think
> big. ;-)

0xFF00_0000 makes sense to me, and works fine.  It fits in with what
I've seen in other implementations.  As I stated previously, 0x0400_0000
was a purely historical number.  I'll take the recommendations of those
who have been there before... thanks.

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Wolfgang Denk
>
> Best regards,