[U-Boot-Users] Excluding Env Variable section from the u-boot.bin

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 12 15:41:42 CET 2006

In message <61124de70601120327o12f9294die4bda6bbfdb464ac at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> For my ppc405EP based custom board I would like to make few changes to
> the u-boot memory map, so that every time I update the u-boot,
> environment variables in the flash remain untouched.
> U-boot-1.1.4/my_board/u-boot.lds
>   ppcenv_assert = ASSERT(. < 0xFFF80000, ".bss section too big,
> overlaps .ppcenv section. Please update your confguration:
> CFG_MONITOR_BASE, CFG_MONITOR_LEN and TEXT_BASE may need to be
> modified.");

Now isn't this a very precise error message? Which other hints do you need?

> Where am I going wrong??

Your whole approach seems  overkill  to  me.  Why  don;t  you  simply
include  a  "saveenv"  command  in your update script? As long as the
environment is not shifted (which  seems  unlikelyin  your  case)  no
other changes are needed.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"There is no statute of limitations on stupidity."
- Randomly produced by a computer program called Markov3.