[U-Boot-Users] FW: PPC405EP ethernet problems

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jun 20 09:04:46 CEST 2006

In message <61C61BB7D4828E4EB72B065C85E3D8A628A4BD at szexchange.schmid-telecom.com> you wrote:

> I've introduced some printf statements into the U-Boot code to track the
> program flow. It turns out, that the cpu executes a loop, where there is
> none present in the source code. Below are some excerpts of the source
> code and the output of U-Boot. The only explanation I have so far is,
> that the compiler breaks something. I'm using powerpc-405-linux-gnu-gcc
> version 3.4.4 for cross compilation on an i386 debian system. Has
> anybody experienced similar behaviour? Are there any known problems or
> pitfalls when using this version of gcc?

GCC-3.4.x has shown  "funny"  behaviour  in  a  couple  of  cases.  I
recommend  to  use  a known to be working toolchain and try this. The
code you mention has been working  fine  for  a  long  time  on  many
boards, so I really guess it's a toolchain issue (not necessarily the
compiler alone).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I knew then (in 1970) that a 4-kbyte minicomputer would cost as much
as a house. So I reasoned  that  after  college,  I'd  have  to  live
cheaply in an apartment and put all my money into owning a computer."
      - Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, EE Times, June 6, 1988, pg 45