[U-Boot-Users] New Board and New CPU

Andy Gospodarek andy at greyhouse.net
Thu Mar 2 13:45:04 CET 2006

On 3/1/06, CoDeBrEaKeR <codebreaker28 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> i have a new board and new CPU to be ported to U Boot. since this is
> completely new to me, i wish i cud get some help from the ppl here.
>
>  first of all i need to know what are the necessary information that i have
> to gather regarding the board and the cpu.
>
>  second, as far as i have the information, the CPU that i have matches m68k.
>
>  third, since the board is designed in house, i am not sure which ref code
> to use for the development.
>
>   pls do need me the inputs so that i can get back with the necessary
> information for further development.
>
>  thanks
>

>  ________________________________
>  PhotoMail - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

CoDeBrEaKeR,

It's quite unlikely you'll get too much help when asking a question
like this because the only technical detail you provided was, 'the CPU
that i have matches m68k.'  When I did my first port of U-boot to
custom design 2 things were helpful:

1.  Hardware specs from the board designer.
2.  Some diag reference code used by the hardware designers.

I would suggest getting hardware specs from your in-house board
designer.  You also might want to talk to them and find out if it was
based on another m68k reference design.  Most times, hardware
designers won't stray too far from a reference or known working
design, so you have a decent shot.

-andy