[U-Boot-Users] Squashfs

Tolunay Orkun listmember at orkun.us
Thu Mar 2 17:54:53 CET 2006

Brian Johnson wrote:
> Just getting started with this stuff so I hope I don't ask too many newbie
> questions
>
> I've read that squashfs is supposed to be an improvement over cramfs but I
> couldn't find any info about squashfs in the terrific U-Boot info at
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG
>
> Is it basically the same setup as for a cramfs root?
>
> How would it rank in the table shown at
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/RootFileSystemSelection ?

We use UImage based on squashfs (gzip) in our UImage. U-Boot does not
care what type of file system is in UImage formatted file. It only cares
the file is a proper UImage. If you are looking at any U-Boot commands
to deal with files inside the squashfs image U-Boot does not provide any
such support.

Why don't you try generating cramfs and squashfs etc. based UImage files
using your root file system contents and compare. Here is some date for
you based on our PPC405PR based system which may or might not be
representative.

RAM Memory After Boot:
fs_type available used free
ext2  30724 17636 13088