[U-Boot-Users] mpc8260 serial console works under uboot, but not under linux

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 14 18:50:32 CET 2006

In message <4416E11D.6060807 at yahoo.fr> you wrote:

> We have ported u-boot on  a mpc8260 based design of ours.
> We try to boot linux on it (built with TQM8260_defconfig), as a

This is off topic here. Please post to a Linux related list.

But I can tell you so much: just chosing a random board configuration
and hoping it would work is always a pretty reliable way  for  a  big
disappointment. You actually have to *port* Linux to your hardware.

> We were surprised to see that a "make uImage" would use the
> vmlinux.gz kernel (linked at 0xc000.0000) and not the
> zImage.elf(linked at 0x0040.0000), which includes the files in
> arch/ppc/boot/simple.

Why are you surprised?

> The serial console is initialized and handled in
> ./arch/ppc/boot/simple/m8260_tty.c, and we suspect that since
> this is not included in vmlinux, that is the reason why we don't
> see any messages.

You misunderstand. The Linux bootstrap  loader  is  never  used  with
U-Boot.

> Should we try to somehow add it to vmlinux (if this is possible)?

Don't.

> I know this is not the list, but why is the linux make file is
> generating these two different files? My guess is that zImage is
> for systems with no u-boot bootloader.

Right.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"If you are afraid of loneliness, don't marry."             - Chekhov