[U-Boot-Users] Re: How can I reserve memory for LCD framebuffer on ARM-based board?

Ilya Yanok ilya.yanok at gmail.com
Sat May 6 16:06:37 CEST 2006

Wolfgang Denk <wd <at> denx.de> writes:

> Why do you think that reserving memory above the  BSS  segmet  was  a
> problem?
>
> And "don't even tries to ensure that there are enough memory" - well,
> it is obviously the responsibility of the person porting U-Boot to  a
> specific board to come up with a valid memory map.

To be more precise I just try to ask where exactly I should make changes to
reserve memory for framebuffer?

> Oops? I don't understand. The existing code works fine on a couple of
> boards. What's your specific problem? What exactly  makes  you  think
> you cannot to the same?

Existing code works fine, but writers of lib_arm/board.c and common/lcd.c for
sure were thinking about different things...
Code from lib_arm/board.c:
size = lcd_setmem (addr);
gd->fb_base = addr;

But lcd_setmem(addr) returns not size of framebuffer but addr - size and
reports of reserving framebuffer at addr - size. This don't make things broken
but obviously is some kind of misunderstanding...

This makes me think that somewhere (obviously not on ARM boards) we reserve
framebuffer below u-boot code, so second question is why not to do this
everywhere?

With best regards,
                  Ilya.