[U-Boot-Users] tftpboot question

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 1 01:42:25 CET 2006

In message <198592450610311513h50d4598awc0666aac00643c50 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I'm trying to use tftpboot to copy linux image into flash starting address
> is 0xff300000, so I defined CFG_DIRECT_FLASH_TFTP. It looks data have been

Why are you doing this? The recommended method is to load the image to
RAM first, and then use "cp" to write it to flash.

> written into flash since there is no any error. However, when I try to boot

Did you use the "iminfo" command after writing the image  tpo  flash?
What does it say?

> linux, it returns gunzip error. If I download the same image using xmodem,
> the kernel just boots fine. Do I need to do anything special for tftp direct
> to flash? If I tftp image into ram(0x800000) then boot, it's just fine too.
>
> ### main_loop: bootcmd="bootm $loadaddr"
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> ## Booting image at ff300000 ...
> ## Current stack ends at 0x0F5D0BB8 => set upper limit to 0x00800000
> bd address  = 0x0F5D0FB8
> memstart    = 0x00000000
> memsize     = 0x10000000
> flashstart  = 0xFF000000
> flashsize   = 0x01000000
> flashoffset = 0x00000000
> sramstart   = 0x00000000
> sramsize    = 0x00000000
> immr_base   = 0xE0000000
> bootflags   = 0x00000001
> intfreq     =    264 MHz
> busfreq     =    132 MHz
> ethaddr     = 00:04:9F:11:22:33
> eth1addr    = 00:E0:0C:00:7D:01
> IP addr     = 10.1.0.10
> baudrate    = 115200 bps
> ## Transferring control to Linux at ff300000 with bd at 007fffb0 ...
>
> loaded at:     FF300000 FFA94124
> relocated to:  00800000 00F94124
> board data at: 007FFFB0 007FFFF8
> relocated to:  00805114 0080515C
> zimage at:     008058D5 00904243
> initrd at:     00905000 00F91864
> avail ram:     00F95000 01395000

This does not look like normal "bootm" command output to me. Are  you
sure  your  image was started by a bootm command? And are you sure it
is an uImage file in the first place?

To me this looks as if you were using the  Linux  kernel's  bootstrap
loader, which you must not do.

> Linux/PPC load: mem=248M
> Uncompressing Linux...inflate returned FFFFFFFD
> exit

This is NOT an U-Boot error message.

> ------=_Part_14139_17937139.1162336433719

And please, don't post HTML here.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching  should,  therefore,
be regarded as a criminal offence.
          -- Edsger W. Dijkstra, SIGPLAN Notices, Volume 17, Number 5