[U-Boot-Users] NAND flash implementation

Hans Zuidam hans.zuidam at philips.com
Tue Sep 5 09:54:15 CEST 2006

Hi Wolfgang,

wd at denx.de wrote on 04-09-2006 21:09:43:
> Can you keep the information about what is attached where in a (board
> specific) private data structure?
I am not quite sure what you mean.

We would (as per normal) keep all private data in a ``struct nand_chip''.
Both ``struct nand_chip nand_chip[]'' and ``ulong base_address[]'' as per
normal with the base addresses set to the "profiles" we want to scan for
NAND existence (normally all 5 of them) and CFG_MAX_NAND_DEVICE set to
the number of profiles to scan/use.  In case no NAND device exists at a
profile we cannot touch it at all.  The profiles are initialised during
power-up from an I2C ROM which holds the board configuration.

The best and least intrusive solution we could come up with is therefore
changing board_nand_init() to return != 0 if no nand_scan() should be done
for a particular NAND device.  It's not a totally nice solution
(board_nand_init as a name becomes somewhat of a misnomer,) but we could
not
find a better solution.  Maybe we are missing something.

Regards,
Hans Zuidam
--
Hans Zuidam
Sen. Systems Engineer, BL DTS ICE, Philips Semiconductors

Building A410, Room 3.40
High Tech Campus 41, 5656 AE Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Tel. +31 (0)40 2746579
E-Mail: hans.zuidam at philips.com