[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for patch to configure networkparameters

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Apr 22 13:05:04 CEST 2007

In message <001901c784ba$97f07450$01c4af0a at Glamdring> you wrote:

> > while listen_to_arguments; do
> > change patch until everybody is happy
> > done
>
> In this case, my goal is to create a useable way of configuration
> for limited parts of U-boot outside U-boot.

This is reasonable.

> Wolfgang just stated that he will not accept any patch making that
> possible,.
> The only allowed way to configure is within u-boot.

This is not so different from Linux, btw. The only way to configure a
Linux kernel is by doing this inside the Linux source tree.

> It is very difficult if the very principle of the patch is unacceptable.

There is usually more than one way to do things.

> Wolfgang has said (1 year ago or so) that he wants all configuration
> in one place, so Kconfig is out unless you have a single Kconfig file
> covering all cpus/board/versions etc.

I admit that I don't like Kconfig. But then, I'm  also  unhappy  with
what  we have now. Ideas for a beter solution are welcome, but please
let's discuss concepts before submitting patches.

> We just dont think alike.

This is perfectly normal. We can still try to work with each other.

> Which is good and completely different to Wolfgangs approach
> to make it as difficult as possible to maintain out of tree patches
> in the hope that no nonGPL versions of u-boot will appear.

I don't see how I could do anything against out of tree patches  even
if I wanted, nor am I aware that I ever tried.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Lots of folks confuse bad management with destiny.   -- Frank Hubbard