[U-Boot-Users] UBoot's terminal server

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Mon Apr 23 21:07:13 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 11:52 -0700, vvj wrote:
> Thanks Ben,
> I tried this way - it does not work.
>
> First - UBoot issue:
> when I enter "setenv stdout nc; setenv stdin nc'", the env var stays the
> same - I can see it from "printenv".
> I changed sources - set stdout and stdin to nc by default and erased env
> var. Loading default values did not help:
> still I see
> In:    serial
> Out:   serial
> Err:   serial
> Net:   Using MAC Address 12:34:56:78:9A:BD
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> I searched source code for 6666 or 1a0a (1A0A) - default port - nothing
> found, except ncb.c from tools folder (linux app)

You need to set CONFIG_NETCONSOLE in your board .h file and recompile
U-boot.  This will let you redirect the streams.
> Second -  my Fedora5 issue:
> It does not understand "nc -u -l -p 6666 < /dev/null &" - shows help topic
> on that

There was recently a patch to the README.NetConsole file about using nc
under Fedora Core 5.  I believe you should try it without "-p".  I'm a
Debian/Ubuntu user, so can't really speak from experience.

regards,
Ben