[U-Boot-Users] BDI2000 problems flashing virgin custom 8548 board

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Wed Aug 29 23:08:31 CEST 2007

robert lazarski wrote:
> Hi all, here's what I got from the bdi2000 shell:
>
> - TARGET: processing user reset request
> - BDI asserts HRESET
> - Reset JTAG controller passed
> - JTAG exists check passed
> - IDCODE  is 0x0003901D
> - SVR     is 0x80390020
> - PVR     is 0x80210020
> - CCSRBAR is 0x0_ff700000
> - BDI removes HRESET
> - TARGET: Target PVR is 0x80210020
> - TARGET: resetting target passed
> atum8548>info
>     Target CPU        : MPC85xx (e500v2 rev.2)
>     Target state      : running
> atum8548>era 0
> # Writing to workspace failed
> atum8548>erase 00000000
> # Writing to workspace failed
> atum8548>prog 0 /tftpboot/u-boot.bin
> Programming /tftpboot/u-boot.bin , please wait ....
> # Writing to workspace failed
> atum8548>

Workspace is RAM.  If your memory controller isn't set up, you can't use
the workspace.  From your config file it looks like you're planning on
using some kind of cache for SRAM.  I'd just skip this for now.  Delete
the WORKSPACE line and you should be able to write to flash.  It'll be
dog-slow, though.

> This is of course probably due to my bdi2000 cfg file - I've annexed
> it in this email. I've tried to keep the file bare bones though this
> is my first time writing this config. I've got one flash bank, a 128MB
> spansion S29GL01GP . Here's my flash #DEFINE's :

For my 64Mb Spansion GL flash I use:

CHIPTYPE    MIRRORX16   ;Flash type: Spansion
CHIPSIZE    0x800000    ;The size of one flash chip in bytes
BUSWIDTH    16          ;The width of the flash memory bus in bits (8 |
16 | 32 | 64)

Yours will probably be the same, but size will be 0x1000000.  I'm
assuming your flash is 128Mb and not 128MB, but I apologize if this is
wrong.
> #define CFG_BOOT_BLOCK          0xf8000000      /* boot TLB block */
> #define CFG_FLASH_BASE          CFG_BOOT_BLOCK  /* start of FLASH 128M */
>
> #define CFG_BR0_PRELIM          0xf8001001
>
> #define CFG_OR0_PRELIM          0xff806e65
>
> #define CFG_FLASH_BANKS_LIST    {CFG_FLASH_BASE}
> #define CFG_MAX_FLASH_BANKS     1               /* number of banks      */
> #define CFG_MAX_FLASH_SECT      1024            /* sectors per device */
> #undef  CFG_FLASH_CHECKSUM
> #define CFG_FLASH_ERASE_TOUT    512000  /* Flash Erase Timeout (ms) */
> #define CFG_FLASH_WRITE_TOUT    8000    /* Flash Write Timeout (ms) */
>
> The hardware engineer I'm working with tells me our first challenge is
> to write the u-boot.bin file to flash. Can any anyone please help
>
> Robert
regards,
Ben