[U-Boot-Users] Thoughts on PCI card init via x86emu w/ PPC

Mel Davey mdavey at iontorrents.com
Fri Aug 31 03:59:12 CEST 2007

Hi all, we are using uboot 1.1.6 w/ a custom mpc8560, with 3 PCI slots, and
want to use an off-the-shelf video card such as ATI radeon 9250, and 3-ware
8006 SATA controller.  We need to initialize the video board using its bios,
so need to get the bios ROM code and execute it in x86 emulation mode.  I
saw where uboot has the x86emu compiled in for some other applications,
would this be a viable option for us?  Would it work for more than just the
video board?  The controller bios apparently uses the video card in VGA mode
at its init time to allow the user to config the controller via ctrl-h, so
the video would need to be initialized first, then the controller, and I'd
need to figure out how to send the ctrl-h since I'm only connected via
serial port now, not sure if thats what the controller is looking for.  Any
guidance appreciated, thanks.

- UnderDog