[U-Boot-Users] fdt chosen node handling

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Wed Dec 19 08:59:54 CET 2007

Hi,

I am wondering how the device tree "chosen" node should be handled, if it
already exists in the device tree blob given to U-Boot. When this node
doesn't exist it gets created and everything is fine. But if it already
exists, it doesn't get overwritten and the defaults from the device tree blob
most of the time are not what I really want.

So I would like U-Boot to overwrite the existing chosen node. I discovered
that the fdt_chosen() function already has this "force" parameter, but it is
not set in the current U-Boot implementation. I would like to set it for my
board ports and I am wondering how I should handle this. Should this be done
via a compile switch (#define), or via an env variable, or...?

Any ideas/comments on this?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Stefan