[U-Boot-Users] RFC: New U-boot image format

Marian Balakowicz m8 at semihalf.com
Fri Dec 21 16:04:09 CET 2007

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <4769258D.6090709 at semihalf.com> you wrote:
>> The hooks idea sounds reasonable but, the problem
>> is that there isn't really any such thing like
>> "main fromat processing code".
>>
>> The 'bootm' command code does a lot of image
>> related manipulation but it's not generic or main
>> format processing code. It is rather a specialized
>
> But it's *the* generic command for booting a Linux kernel.

Right.

[...]
> imls would probably have it's ownset of image type hooks - while  you
> would  register some "boot me" type of handlers with bootm, you would
> register some "display me" type of handlers with imls.
>
> imxtract will have to be changed completely in any case.
>
>> And all of them process images directly, finding
>> necessary information on their own.
>
> This is no argument for not  creating  some  more  centralized  image
> processing code, or is it?

No, it's not. But I have doubts whether bootm is a good place for it.
Maybe we should rather go for new generic command, something like
'imrun' or similar. And maybe even, move standalone application
execution from bootm to a dedicated hook that'll be available from
'imrun'. This way, bootm would become strict OS booting command,
potentially also available from 'imrun' via a hook.

How that sounds?

Cheers,
Marian