[U-Boot-Users] Issue with Ethernet operation in non-promiscuous mode.

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Thu Dec 27 17:38:04 CET 2007

Hi Upakul,

Please don't top-post.

Upakul Barkakaty wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> I have just tested this with the Ping and Dhcp commands.
>
> Ping <serverip>: With Promiscuous mode enabled, the <serverip> is
> shown alive. When promiscuous mode is disabled, the <serverip> is
> shown to be not alive.

I think you need to run Wireshark (Ethereal) to find out what's going
on.  In particular, is the SA of the ARP and ICMP requests what you
expect, and what is the DA of the responses.
> Dhcp: With Promiscuous mode enabled, the device gets an IP address .
> When promiscuous mode is disabled, it keeps broadcasting the Bootp
> packets, but is perhaps not able to receive the Bootp reply packets
> sent by the server.
>
> The same Mac address works fine in case of Linux and Nucleus, so i
> think the Mac address should not be a problem.

Yeah, but the OS may program the MAC address (I can't keep up with the
MAC address programming controversy in ARM Linux, and don't know enough
about Nucleus).  Just run Wireshark.  It should shed lots of light.
> Regards,
> Upakul Barkakaty

regards,
Ben