[U-Boot-Users] u-boot for Vertex4-based board.

Leonid Leonid at a-k-a.net
Wed Feb 14 16:24:49 CET 2007

On Tuesday, February 13, 2007 10:55 PM Markus Klotzbücher:
> > I'm porting u-boot on Vertex-4 based board (with PPC405 inside); I'm
> > trying use ml403 u-boot as example. I have first stage boot loader,
> > taking my u-boot image from serial and loading it to SDRAM, u-boot is
> > configured to boot from main memory.

> Are you aware that this setup is strongly discouraged? Have you read
> this:

>http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/CanUBootBeConfiguredSuchThatItCanBeStarte> dInRAM?

[Leonid] The answer in DULG FAQ chapter you are referring to doesn't say that such practice is bad, it simply states that u-boot doesn't support such an option. That could be truth in the time of DULG FAQ writing but now there are many platforms, naturally using 3-stage booting. For example, ATMEL ARM boards have small boot program which fetches u-boot from flash, loads it to RAM and then starts. I would like to hear why do you think it's so bad, but in any case this way u-boot is normally used for such boards (at91rm9200-ek for instance).

In my case I probably could change EDK project to put flash on the end of the memory, but I prefer to load u-boot via XMD debugger or serial directly to RAM - much more convenient for debugging - since otherwise I will need to burn flash each time I change something and I cannot use BDI2000 on this board. Xilinx tools are not that convenient for frequent flash burning.

Regards

Leonid.