[U-Boot-Users] u-boot on blackfin problems loading linux kernel

Aubrey Li aubrey.adi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 17:11:29 CET 2007

On 1/29/07, matti h <sinking_wasa at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Ive downloaded u-boot 1.1.6 sources and modified them to the extend that I
> can figure out
> to fit our custom blackfin board.
> Im able to start u-boot by loading it to target using visualdsp++
> and in the u-boot prompt I can load hello world example from a connected cf
> disk.
> But the linux kernel does not run... Im sure the kernel is ok, aswell as the
> hardware (tested with other bootloader and works sound).
> Now how do I debug this ?, is it possible that I have missed out some needed
> change in the source ?
> I have access to a jtag device to trace...but im not sure how I should use
> it to find out the problem.
>
> The hardware features the following
> bf533 cpu @ 400 Mhz core
> 100 mhz ram .
> 16mb ram
> 2mb flash
>
> Not sure about the following option
> TEXT_BASE = 0x00600000
> I grabbed it from the older bootloader...how do I tell it its "correct" ?
> I have followed this guide for porting the source:
> http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=customizing_u-boot_for_your_own_board
> However I have not modified  cpu/bf533/cpu.c , should I ? and what should I
> do in there?
>
> I should note that I also tried the u-boot source from blackfin.uclinux.org
> but I had even less luck running it, console works very poorly with their
> source
> (double characters apearing etc, ide not working ).
>
> //Any help is
> appriciated
>
> - Matty
>
> And this is how it all looks:
> boot>ide res
> Reset IDE: Bus 0: OK
>   Device 0: Model: STI Flash 7.2.0  Firm: 12/15/04 Ser#: STI1J80505285182323
>             Type: Hard Disk
>             Capacity: 122.5 MB = 0.1 GB (250880 x 512)
> boot>fatload ide 0:1 0x00800000 a/helloworld
> reading a/helloworld
> 7813 bytes read
> boot>bootelf 0x00800000
> ## Starting application at 0x00001000 ...
> Example expects ABI version 3
> Actual U-Boot ABI version 3
> Hello World
> argc = 1
> argv[0] = "0x00800000"
> argv[1] = "<NULL>"
> Hit any key to exit ...
>
> ## Application terminated, rc = 0x0
> boot>fatload ide 0:1 0x00800000 b/linux
> reading b/linux
> 1576768 bytes read
> boot>bootelf 0x00800000
> Exception!
> Exception!

Firstly, if you run the following steps,

1) tftpboot 0x1000000 linux
2) fatload ide 0:1 0x800000 b/linux
3) cmp.b 0x800000 0x1000000 $(filesize)

What result did you get?

Actually, we've already upgraded u-boot to 1.1.6. The access info is as follows:
http://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/u-boot/scmsvn
If you want to checkout 1.1.6, you can do:
 svn checkout --username anonymous
http://blackfin.uclinux.org/svn/u-boot/trunk/u-boot-1.1.6
u-boot-1.1.6

And Loading kernel from CF card is included in our test cases, Here is one doc:
http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=using_cf_flash_card_disk_with_u-boot_and_linux_kernel

Let me know how are things going on your side,

Thanks,
-Aubrey