[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot-NG ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 3 23:11:30 CEST 2007

In message <468AA145.8090404 at smiths-aerospace.com> you wrote:

> One technique I've used in the past that has worked well is to output
> successive characters at critical points in the code.  (It became known
> around here as "alphabet soup.")  If the board stopped spitting out
> characters prematurely, you have a clue what is wrong.

This is definitely useful for debugging. We often do similar  things;
like  ust  writing  characters  or  a  counter  to some static memory
location for post mortem analysis with a debugger.

> > MPC8260 Clock Configuration
> >  - Bus-to-Core Mult 4.5x, VCO Div 2, 60x Bus Freq  22-65 , Core Freq
> > 100-300
> >  - dfbrg 0, corecnf 0x17, busdf 5, cpmdf 1, plldf 0, pllmf 5
> >  - vco_out  597196800, scc_clk  149299200, brg_clk  149299200
> >  - cpu_clk  447897600, cpm_clk  298598400, bus_clk   99532800
> >  - pci_clk   49766400
>
> One or two of these may be useful, but even that is debatable.

I consider it very useful.  We  had  several  cases  where  customers
reported  on  strange problems, and by just checking the printed data
we wre able to see that they either used a wrong board  configuration
for U-Boot, or that the syctem clock was off, or ...

> * Some of these, if wrong, will cause complete board failure and the
>      above won't be printed anyway.
> * Most can be deferred till after RAM reloc

No, it cannot, because then you might never  see  these  messages  at
all.

> > CPU:   MPC8280 (HiP7 Rev 14, Mask 1.0 1K49M) at 447.897 MHz
> > Board: Innovative Systems AP2, CPU1
> > Build: $SvnTreeRevision: 89 $
> Defer till after RAM reloc

NO! Please, please DON'T!

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"He only drinks when he gets depressed." "Why does he get depressed?"
"Sometimes it's because he hasn't had a drink."
                                     - Terry Pratchett, _Men at Arms_