[U-Boot-Users] Problem booting MPC8568MDS board + improvement suggestion

David Saada David.Saada at ecitele.com
Wed Jul 18 14:50:49 CEST 2007

Hello,
I've got the MPC8568MDS board. When I try to compile the latest version of
U-boot for this board and burn it onto its flash, the boot process gets
stuck right after the RAM initialization sequence (it prints the DDR+SDRAM
size, but doesn't continue). As far as I was able to see with my ICE, the
DDR wasn't properly initialized after the DDR setup sequence (wasn't able to
track the exact reason).
The thing is that the original Flash image I've got from Freescale does boot
properly on the same board. Its startup prints indicate that it's based on
version 1.2.0 as well, but there's no way to know which version of the
current tree was taken for this purpose (the date only specifies the
compilation date - not the tree version date). I don't think it has to do
with my compilation environment - I use ELDK 4.0 (used it also with the MPC
8560 & 8360 processors with success). Would appreciate any help, especially
information about the last version that was stable with this board.
This brings me to suggest the following improvement: With every check in to
the U-boot tree (any of them), there should also be a main auto generated
file, that includes the date, tree name and perhaps an auto incremented
build version. This information should be printed at startup along with
major version and compilation date. This should give proper details for the
referenced U-boot version.
Best regards,
David.