[U-Boot-Users] Problems with tftp-transfers on u-boot (with Linux ok)

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Wed Jul 18 19:17:55 CEST 2007

Hi, Patrick!

Roesli, Patrick schrieb:
>From time to time we have some problems on the ethernet-communication at
> the bootloader level. When we are trying to download an image via tftp,
> the communication isn't running fluently, there are some interruptions
> as
> we can see with ethereal, or even the communication isn't running at
> all.
> These problems do not occure on every hardware and may be caused by some
> chip/hardware tolerances.

Did you evaluate the dependencies of the tolerances already?
(varying temperatures, voltages, speed, cable length, ...)

> On the other side, after starting the Linux-Kernel and running tftp in
> userspace there is no problem anymore.

Mhm... an U-Boot update seems to be appropriate in that case.

> We haven't found any related changes on the source since the u-boot
> 1.0.2.
> Had anbody similar effects on the ethernet-communication or any idea how
> we
> could solve the problem?
>
> Kind regards
> Patrick Roesli
>
> software components:
> - u-boot 1.0.2 (denx-tree) U-Boot-1_0_2
> - kernel 2.4 (denx-tree linuxppc_2_4_devel) LABEL_2005_06_20_1300

That's all old stuff, nobody wants to talk about.
Can you try the latest U-Boot git tree, please?

> hardware components(NSCU Board):
> - Freescale MPC855TVR66D4(66Mhz) on a TQ systems TQM855-AC(32MB
> SDRAM/16MB flash)
> - Ethernet Controller LXT971A
> http://developer.intel.com/design/network/products/LAN/applnots/24940101
> .pdf (single port)

I have the LXT971A working fine on one of my MPC8540 boards.
(Running some u-boot-1.2.0-git)
Please verify the hardware setup of the PHY if applicable.
(configuration, autonegotiation, ...)

Regards,
--
Clemens Koller