[U-Boot-Users] U-boot runtime detection

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jun 6 15:49:00 CEST 2007

In message <200706061258.37801.florian.fainelli at telecomint.eu> you wrote:

> Thank you very much for your answer. Looks like reading linux_env in fw_arg2
> and 0 in fw_arg3 should be pretty efficient in saying it is U-boot we were
> booted from.

I have to admit that I don't understand the rationale  of  all  that.
IMHO the Linux kernel should never have to know how it was booted and
which  bootloader might have been used. The kernel has a well-defined
interface and expects a certain set of hardware initializations  been
done  before  it  gets started, but that's it. It should not need any
additional information outside this

> Any reasons why fw_arg3 receives 0 instead of a magic number ? Broadcom's C> FE
> passes the string "CFE1" in here, why not passing "UBOO" for instance ?

Because nobody ever cared?

> Le jeudi 31 mai 2007, Wolfgang Denk a écrit :
> > In message <200705301902.50186.florian.fainelli at telecomint.eu> you wrote:
> > > I am currently working on the adm5120 target under Linux and this board
> > > is available with at least 4 bootloaders, including U-boot.
Please don't top post / full quote.
Please see  http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Technology is dominated by those who manage what they do  not  under-
stand.