[U-Boot-Users] Some questions about what is planned toimproveU-Boot configuration...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 21 00:34:22 CEST 2007

In message <46597312D56D2A47A3A6E9C1D0D9B7AEB0C346 at kpladc0001.konzeptpark.intra> you wrote:

> > No, this is NOT what I mean. "include" means that the
> > information  is distributed  over  at  least  two  files, one
> > of them auto-generated, which makes things just worse.
>
> Maybe we talking about the same thing. All information should be
> configured with a
> Single frontend, and the data is saved into a single file. And from this
> single file

I am pretty sure that this cannot be done. Please read 20  or  30  of
the  existing board config files to see what they contain. You may be
able to catch 50% or maybe even 80% and on some  boards  95%  with  a
"configuration  frontend",  but  I expect you will get stuck with the
rest.  And  the  result  will  be  that  you  have  distributed   the
configuration  information over several unrelated places, which makes
it even harder to get an overview than in the current situation.

But please feel free to prove me wrong.

> The new config system will make all these board headers obsolete and
> replaces them by default configs for each supported target.
>
> That's my goal with the new config system.

I know what you want. I just dont believe there is a straight way  to
get there.

> Yes, and for each board a <boardname>_defconfig will reside in
> include/configs. The former <boardname>.h file can be deleted, as all
> information from this file is now auto-configured from the defconfig
> file.

I guess you will have to extend Kconfig a lot to support this.

> Yes, it means to have 100dreds of toolchains at hands and maybe a

No, just 8 or 10 or so.

> I still remember the times where we had different bootloaders for all
> and everything. I don't want that back.

Neither do I.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Documentation is the castor oil of programming.
Managers know it must be good because the programmers hate it so much.