[U-Boot-Users] FW: mpc8343 could not boot on u-boot-1.2.0

Fowley, Douglas G (GE Infra, Energy) Douglas.Fowley at ge.com
Tue Mar 6 14:11:26 CET 2007

________________________________

	From: Dongying_Xu at us.alphanetworks.com
[mailto:Dongying_Xu at us.alphanetworks.com]
	Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 3:08 PM
	To: Fowley, Douglas G (GE Infra, Energy)
	Cc: u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net
	Subject: Re: [U-Boot-Users] mpc8343 could not boot on
u-boot-1.2.0

	Hi Doug,

	Are you using linux kernel?  When you comment out 'enable
address translation', can you successfully boot with linux kernel?
When I comment out those line, it did help to boot until u-boot console
shows up, but it failed to continue boot up with linux kernel.  To make
linux kernel working, I have to keep following old 1.1.3 version code
in, which will cause another problem.  Did you have similar problem?

	Thank you and best regards
	dongy

	un_setup_stack_in_data_cache:
	        blr
	        mr r14, r4
	        mr r15, r5

	        lis r4, (CFG_INIT_RAM_ADDR & 0xFFFE0000)@h
	        mtspr        DBAT0U, r4
	        ori r4, r4, 0x0002
	        mtspr        DBAT0L, r4
	        isync

	        /* un lock all the D-cache */
	        mfspr        r4, HID0
	        lis r5, (~(HID0_DLOCK))@h
	        ori        r5, r5, (~(HID0_DLOCK))@l
	        and r4, r4, r5
	        sync
	        mtspr        HID0 , r4

	        /* Re - Allocate Initial RAM in data cache.*/
	        li  r0, 0
	        lis        r4, (CFG_INIT_RAM_ADDR)@h
	        ori        r4, r4, (CFG_INIT_RAM_ADDR)@l
	        li        r5, 128*8 /* 128*8*32=32Kb */
	        mtctr        r5
	1:
	        dcbz        r0, r4
	        addi        r4, r4, 32
	        bdnz        1b
	        isync

	        mflr r16
	        bl dcache_disable
	        mtlr r16

	        blr

Hi Dongy,

I do not use Linux; I run QNX Neutrino.  But I did have a similar
problem
running QNX when I switched to U-Boot 1.1.4 and beyond.  U-Boot began
leaving the data cache enabled with that version.  Note that the last
part
of 1.1.3 snippet that you still use (above) disables the data cache.

I fixed it for QNX by adding "CFG_COMMAND_CACHE" to
"CONFIG_COMMANDS" in my board header file in include/configs, and
adding "dcache off; " to the appropriate spot in the bootcmd environment
variable.  In my case,

    #define CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND "tftp ${loadaddr} ${ifsfile}; " \
        "dcache off; " \
        "go ${loadaddr}"

Since my disable address translation trick got your U-Boot up and
running, I suggest trying my data cache hack for Linux and reporting
back.

Regards,

Doug