[U-Boot-Users] arm SoC code in U-Boot.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 6 23:32:20 CET 2007

In message <006701c7603a$95ed3930$01c4af0a at Glamdring> you wrote:

> [...]

Please don't top-post / full quote. Thanks.

> > Do we really need the "freescale" subdirectory here? Maybe
> > cpu/arm_imx would be a shorter and more descriptive name?
> I think it is a matter of taste.

Agreed.

> Some people would like to have consistency
> making it easy to find where things are located.

To me making it easy to find where things are located includes not to
add unnecessary directory levels.

When adding "cpu/freescale/" I see no clear line what  should  go  in
there  and  what  not.  Whould  we  then  move  all  the  cpu/mpc???/
directories into cpu/freescale/  ?  And  then  probably  create  (for
consistency)  a  "cpu/amcc/"  directory and mode cpu/ppc4xx into that
one? What do we get in addition to another directory level? IMO  that
would not improve anything, and you still don't see where shared code
is located.

> If you look at what is driving duplication, then you find
> that the peripherals are either developed inside a semiconductor
> company, or they are licensed from an IP provider.
>
> It makes a lot of sense therefore to dedicate directories
> to the providers of IP:
> ARM is a provider, but so are also Freescale, Atmel and others.

Well, where did license Freescale the IMX core from?  I  don't  think
that  we  should  focus on vendor names here, but instead on content.
And the content is "ARM IMX"  related  code.  Assuming  that  is  CPU
specific  enough  to  go  under "cpu/", I feel we should either add a
"cpu/imx" directory or - a little more descriptive  -  "cpu/arm_imx/"
as suggested above. Even "cpu/arm/imx/" seems more natural to me than
"cpu/freescale/imx/".

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You are an excellent tactician, Captain. You let your second in  com-
mand attack while you sit and watch for weakness.
	-- Khan Noonian Singh, "Space Seed", stardate 3141.9