[U-Boot-Users] problems using TSEC Ethernet without CONFIG_NET_MULTI

vb vb at vsbe.com
Fri Mar 9 17:46:54 CET 2007

I'm catching up with my u-boot list emails, so please forgive my late
reply here:

On 2/14/07, Ben Warren <bwarren at qstreams.com> wrote:

> The purpose of this configuration option (CONFIG_NET_MULTI) is to
> automatically cycle through the available Ethernet devices when
> attempting a network connection, moving on when a device's link is down.

This is such an arcane purpose - I wonder how many people think this
is a valuable feature? In most cases a system has multiple ethernet
interfaces, those interfaces are connected to different subnets, and
quite often it is meaningless to try communicating with a host A on
interface B. This automated interface skipping is actually a very
harmful in some situations.

The ability to register multiple interfaces and pick one of them for
all communications is a great one. But the automated switch from
interface to interface should definitely not be the default behavior.

I wonder what is the u-boot community consensus on this issue. I guess
not many people bring up boards with multiple enet interfaces...

cheers,
vadim