[U-Boot-Users] EABI Problem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 6 08:33:48 CET 2007

In message <200711060631.12189.sr at denx.de> you wrote:

> > > see why this change would be needed. If there is a compi8le  problem,
> > > the  reason  for  that  problem  should be located and fixed, without
> > > changing this code.
> > Well ARM assembly only accepts immediate values with certain
> > properties (representable as an 8-bit value plus a 5-bit shift
> > or something, I forgot the details). My ARM assembly skills

My gut feeling is that this is not the root of the  problem.  I  feel
that probably the assembler does not see a pure numerical expression,
but  instead  is  confronted  with the (unsubstituted) string literal
CFG_ENV_SIZE, and that this is causing the problem.

This is what I think needs to be checked and fixed, as the same
problem might be present (eventually undetected) somewhere else, too.

> > are pretty weak, so changing start.S to accept an arbitrary constant
> > is out of scope for me. We could maybe just set CFG_MALLOC_LEN
> > to 132*1024 (untested), or we could move the CFG_MALLOC_LEN
> > down in the file next to the

Please try out if "(132*1024)" works... that would give a some
helpful additional information.

> > #ifdef CONFIG_KB9202
> > #define CFG_ENV_OFFSET                  0x3E00
> > #define CFG_ENV_SIZE                    0x0200

This is broken. 512 bytes of environmnt is much too small to be
useful.

> > #define CFG_MALLOC_LEN	(CFG_ENV_SIZE + 128*1024 + 0x4e00)

This is broken,too. Where is the 0x4e00 coming from here?

> > #else
> > #define CFG_ENV_OFFSET                  0x1000
> > #define CFG_ENV_SIZE                    0x1000
> > #define CFG_MALLOC_LEN	(CFG_ENV_SIZE + 128*1024 + 0x3000)

Where is the 0x3000 coming from here?

> Why not just increasing. It's normally no problem having bigger malloc area:
>
> #define CFG_MALLOC_LEN	(256*1024)

If this works, then it is another indication that there is a
preprocessing problem. This problem should be fixed and not hidden.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Houston, Tranquillity Base here.  The Eagle has landed.
                                                    -- Neil Armstrong