[U-Boot-Users] LIBFDT: bd_t and env embedding (was actual stxxtc board maintainer?)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 27 23:02:57 CET 2007

In message <474C12AF.4000905 at ge.com> you wrote:

[Full quote deleted. Link to "How do I quote correctly in Usenet?"
suppressed.]

> I'm just having a hard time letting go of my dream of FDT world
> domination, starting with using a blob to hold the u-boot env variables. :-)

We will feed your dreams.

Please be prepared to review and comment on the new image format
postings I expect to sees really soon now...

> If we ever /do/ have an option to store env variables in a blob, we
> won't need to have (the current) extra code to jam the non-FDT env
> variables into the blob anyway.  ;-)

Why would you want to store environment variables in a FDT blob?

In nearly all cases  they  serve  pretty  much  completely  different
purposes, and they can be accessed through different methods.

> I don't have any problem removing both the bd_t *and* the env embedding
> "features" since the former is evil and the latter is unused.

Then we at least agreee on that :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I find this a nice feature but it is not according to  the  documen-
tation. Or is it a BUG?"   "Let's call it an accidental feature. :-)"
                       - Larry Wall in <6909 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>