[U-Boot-Users] why can not make u-boot.bin smaller via cutting u-boot command?

Kelsey Dawes kelsey at codemonkey.net
Wed Oct 10 08:25:33 CEST 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 11:37:27AM +0800, sun wrote:
> hi,all:
>       I compiled u-boot for marvell db88f5181 board,and u-boot.bin is 449kb,it too big for porting.
>       I want to cut u-boot,but after i cut some u-boot commands via cutting *.o files under u-boot*/common/Makefile, then make u-boot, but u-boot.bin size still be 449kb? why?
>
>      What's the best way to cut u-boot?

Hi,
in our board config header file, we have defined CFG_MONITOR_LEN - which ends up being the final size of the u-boot.bin file.

>From the README :

CFG_MONITOR_LEN:
		Size of memory reserved for monitor code, used to
		determine _at_compile_time_ (!) if the environment is
		embedded within the U-Boot image, or in a separate
		flash sector.

-Kelsey