[U-Boot-Users] [RFC] Configuration rework for next merge window

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Tue Sep 11 19:49:04 CEST 2007

Wolfgang,

When the next u-boot merge window opens, I'd like to merge in the
build changes needed to support conditional compile.  However, this
will be an invasive change on the Makefiles so it requires some
planning ahead.

The most invasive change is splitting the COBJS definitions into one
line per file which is sure to cause merge conflicts with other boards
which I'd like to avoid.  I see three possible approaches:

1. Merge the COBJS split into -testing now, and ask custodians to base
there changes onto that before the merge window opens
2. Merge the COBJS split at the start of the merge window before any
other patches are merged
3. Merge the COBJS split at the end of the merge window and let me
deal with the conflicts.

My preference is definitely #1, followed by #2.  I think getting it in
first will result in higher confidence that the change has not broken
anything as each of the custodian trees will be testing against it
before they request a pull.

Plus, it's less work for me.  :-)

My other changes are far less invasive, but more risky.  I'd like to
get them into -testing also for the test factor, but merge conflicts
shouldn't be much of an issue.

Cheers,
g.

--