[U-Boot-Users] [RFC] Configuration rework for next merge window

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Sep 11 23:06:46 CEST 2007

Dear Grant,

in message <fa686aa40709111049r50cd858do6123abeeddba78fa at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> When the next u-boot merge window opens, I'd like to merge in the
> build changes needed to support conditional compile.  However, this
> will be an invasive change on the Makefiles so it requires some
> planning ahead.

ACK.

> The most invasive change is splitting the COBJS definitions into one
> line per file which is sure to cause merge conflicts with other boards
> which I'd like to avoid.  I see three possible approaches:
>
> 1. Merge the COBJS split into -testing now, and ask custodians to base
> there changes onto that before the merge window opens
> 2. Merge the COBJS split at the start of the merge window before any
> other patches are merged
> 3. Merge the COBJS split at the end of the merge window and let me
> deal with the conflicts.
>
> My preference is definitely #1, followed by #2.  I think getting it in
> first will result in higher confidence that the change has not broken
> anything as each of the custodian trees will be testing against it
> before they request a pull.

I agree. Suggestion: let's wait for 1.3.0-rc2 (next weekend  or  so);
then  I'll  update  u-boot-testing  and  we use this as base for your
work. I agree that we shoul have this in the  tree  before  the  next
merge window opens.

> Plus, it's less work for me.  :-)

One more good reason...

> My other changes are far less invasive, but more risky.  I'd like to
> get them into -testing also for the test factor, but merge conflicts
> shouldn't be much of an issue.

OK. Thanks in advance.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"...and the fully armed nuclear warheads, are, of  course,  merely  a
courtesy detail."