[U-Boot-Users] Running Linux from ARCH=powerpc on Sequoia board

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Wed Apr 23 15:12:03 CEST 2008

Hi Larry,

On Tuesday 22 April 2008, Grant Likely wrote:
> > Currently, I can build "zImage" for Sequoia using the powerpc
> > architecture, and load it using U-Boot without a separate FDT binary.
> > Is this the best way to run a Linux from the powerpc tree?
>
> Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.
>
> There are two way to boot a Linux image from arch/powerpc.
>
> 1) build a uImage and get u-boot to pass a device tree blob (if your u-boot
> had device tree support)
> 2) build a cuImage which wraps the device tree in the kernel image.

Correct. Personally I prefer 1), since it makes the Linux ports easier. No
bootwrapper is needed in this case. And all the "infrastructure" for fdt
enabled U-Boot images for 4xx is available. Please take a look at
sequoia.c/.h and search for CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT.

Just let me know if this is not clear or if you have additional questions.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de