[U-Boot-Users] using a flat device tree to drive u-boot config

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 03:58:17 CEST 2008

On 7/29/08, Timur Tabi <timur at freescale.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Kumar Gala <galak at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
>  > One topic that come up during OLS in discussions and u-boot BOF was
>  > the idea of driving u-boot configuration from a device tree instead of
>  > from "config.h".  I was wondering if anyone has actually looked at
>  > doing this.
>

> What about creating a tool that parses a device tree and creates (or
>  updates) the board header file?  This will retain compatibility with
>  other platforms, clean up the existing header files (they won't need
>  to contain as much information), and reduce the amount of changes to
>  U-Boot itself.

That's a good idea. I have used variation on this concept in the past
and they have worked out well.

A perfect tool would take a fully populated DTS file and use it to
dynamically generate all of the needed header files to build uboot.
More info would need to be added to the DTS file like DRAM timings,
etc. But a DTS file is good place to track all of that info. The
generated uboot image could contain a copy of the DTB and feed it to
Linux. Allow the user to override the embedded DTB if necessary.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com