[U-Boot-Users] [T-Engine] UBoot configuration for T-Engine/SH7727 MS7727CP02 DevKit

thaoth thaoth at cybersoft-vn.com
Fri Aug 8 09:51:54 CEST 2008

> If you want make SREC file to Flash, you need to use objcopy command.
> shX-linux-objcopy -Ibinary -Osrec u-boot.bin u-boot.flash.srec
This is a good instruction, now I could flash the srec image to Flash Memory
by this command.

srec file was created by below command cannot flash into board.
# sh3-linux-objcopy --gap-fill=0xff -O srec u-boot u-boot.srec
# sh3-linux-objcopy --gap-fill=0xff -O binary u-boot u-boot.bin

Here are file sizes
u-boot.flash.srec     213040
u-boot.srec            222322
u-boot.bin              74080

> Please check doc/README.sh.
I didn't see it. there is only doc/README.sha1

> I think that you know it, T-engine has a monitor program.
> The T-engine user uses this monitor program and writes in it at a flash
> bulb.
> However, as for this program, only a SREC file is usable.

This is a T-Monitor program can work as boot loader application. But I
didn't use it for flashing memory ROM. I would like to use UBoot as a boot
loader replacing this application (T-Monitor).

I worked with Downloader utility of Debug board (T-Engine/SH7727 DevKit)

      T-Engine(MS7727CP01) DownLoader Ver1.8L

SH7727 Flash Memory Change Value!
Flash Memory data copy to RAM
Please Send A S-format Record

Start Addrs = 00000000
End   Addrs = 0001215F

Transfer complete
Flash chip erase: complete
Program :complete
Flash write complete
Ready>RESTART

I have questions about uboot below:
1. Reallocating address of u-boot in booting process.
At the booting process, the address 0x80000000 is executed. This is memory
mapping address of Flash memory. and executable code of T-Monitor will be
executed.

(1) ROM area memory map
In ROM, 8M byte(0x80000000-0x807FFFFF)of area is implemented.
Memory map of ROM area is shown as below.

     0x80000000 +-------------------------------+
                |      T-Monitor code           |
                |- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|
                |                               |
     0x80010000 +-------------------------------+
                |        ROM Information        |
     0x80010080 +-------------------------------+
                |System configuration info      |
                |     (SYSCONF / DEVCONF)       |
                |- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|
                |                               |
     0x80020000 +-------------------------------+
                |       T-Kernel code           |
                |                               |
                +-------------------------------+
                |                               |
                |         User area             |
                |                               |
     0x80800000 +-------------------------------+

UBoot code will reflash into Flash memory at 0x80000000 address. This is
Flash Memory just readonly. Will UBoot reallocating (loading) binary code
into SDRAM at TEXT_BASE address. In T-Engine/Sh7727, this address will be
0x8DFC0000 (Beginning address of SDRAM is 0x8C000000). Does UBoot
automatically reload this code into TEXT_BASE address?

Because Boot starting address will begin at Flash memory (0x80000000) and
T-Monitor (current boot loader) worked at this address. I don't know how
about UBoot. Does it reload Uboot into SDRAM (TEXT BASE) and run?

2. This is a great site for working SH with Linux.
http://www.superh-linux.org/platforms/index.html
Based on Reference board board/ms7720se, I changed the UBoot configuration
for T-Engine/SH7727 MS7727CP02 Kit.

Many thanks to authors for your efforts
# Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <iwamatsu at nigauri.org>
# Yoshihiro Shimoda <shimoda.yoshihiro at renesas.com>

I got a toolchain at
http://www.superh-linux.org/archive/bsp/sh7721_se/toolchain_sh3_gcc4.2.tar.gz
It supported "elf32-sh-linux" target.
And I also got toolchain from T-Engine forum and it support
"elf32-sh-tkernel" target.

I don't know UBoot built with toolchain from http://www.superh-linux.org can
work on T-Engine platform or not?

3. Debugging tool for U-Boot development.
Please tell me how to debug UBoot can work on board. Could you tell me
debugger tool for this purpose? Now I can reflash UBoot into Flash Memory
but I don't know how to check UBoot can work on it. Because porting have
others issues such as serial library, interrupt....

Could you recommend a tool can check it can work?
Sorry for stupid question.

4. Serial driver for UBoot on T-Engine/SH7727 board.
After make sure these configuration are correct setting (SDRAM adress, Flash
Memory). Next step is serial porting for UBoot.

I think serial is basic peripheral and It can work with a small changes. But
Maybe I am wrong. Could you recommend the steps I could work on for serial
porting of UBoot?

T-Engine has a serial library. I don't know how can reuse this library or
not? :(

> I think that I want to support t-kernel and other OS to U-boot-sh.
> I cooperate with you.
Nice for hearing that. I appreciated your help. Many thanks for your effort.

Best regards,
Thao