[U-Boot] iPAQ 21x support (+PXA3xx NAND flash and MMC)

Oliver Ford ipaqlinux at oliford.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 20:19:47 CET 2008

Adrian Filipi wrote:

>     I'm pretty interested.  NAND on the pxa320 is proving to be a pain
> to us.
It seems I'd forgotten to cc' the list on my reply to Daniel so I've
fw'ed that on now - see that msg for some of the details and the source.

It should work ok for the pxa320 but I think there is a #define that
needs changing because the controller clock speed is different. I think
the docs said that that was the only difference.

>     What's your boot sequence look like?
Not much at the moment, I've just been playing with it. Currently I let
the OBM load u-boot from flash and then u-boot loads the kernel off of
the MMC card because I'm having problems with JFFS2 on the NAND within
linux itself (Is JFFS2 supposed to be that slow??).
>   Are you using the mobm from the BSP?
Bear in mind this is an iPAQ so a complete retailed system. I can't get
any help or info from Marvell or HP so I'm doing everything by poking it
and seeing.

If the MOBM is what I know as just the OBM then yes, but it's the winCE
one (they are apparently slightly different). The OBM loaded the winCE
bootloader from 0x40000-0x80000 in the flash to 0x83C00000 in RAM. I've
just put U-Boot there and let the OBM load it up. The other advantage
being that the MMC and NAND MFP configs and basics have already been set.

I daren't touch the OBM because I can't reflash the device if it fails
to boot and the OBM lets me boot off of the MMC card (it's "diagnostic
function") if I wipe the later boot stages.

> Are you using the nand_spl from u-boot?
Not sure what that is. I'm afraid I'm still on the learning curve as I
only saw u-boot for the first time on Thursday and hadn't touched the
NAND flash before the weekend before.

Hope that helps,

Oliver