[U-Boot] u-boot didn't mount ramdisk ...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Dec 17 16:35:27 CET 2008

Dear "mike xu",

In message <7103aeea0812170706p3e1fa7cby7093a87d4d01eb6f at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I am using u-boot 1.2.0 and tried to boot kernel with one ramdisk, but
> it seems the u-boot doesn't load my ramdisk image at all. Please view

This is correct. U-Boot does not load the RAMdisk image - why  should
it?  If  the image is stored in NOR flash memory, the kernel can read
it there as well, so copying it to RAM before starting Linux would be
just a waste of boot time.

U-Boot just passes tha ramdisk address to the Linux kernel - assuming
your ports of U-Boot and Linux  for  your  MIPS  board  support  this
correctly.

> Are there any special requirement of the ramdisk format for u-boot? I
> used mips mkimage command as below and both of the ramdisk.gz in ext2
> or cramfs format are all failed.
> mkimage -O linux -A mips  -T ramdisk -C gzip -n 'Test Ramdisk Image'
> -d ramdisk.gz uRamdisk

This is OK. Maybe you are using a kernel version that  cannot  use  a
ramdisk  image  from  flash  (i. e. it finds it only in RAM, like the
vanilla ARM kernel does, too).

Patche sto fix that (for ARM) have been posted several timers before,
search the archives if needed.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Data is a lot like humans: It is  born.  Matures.  Gets  married  to
other  data, divorced. Gets old. One thing that it doesn't do is die.
It has to be killed."                                 - Arthur Miller