[U-Boot] Copy environment variables to another board

Giuseppe Modugno g.modugno at elettronika.it
Tue Dec 30 16:50:14 CET 2008

On 30 Dec 2008 at 12:40, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> > So you're proposing to use Linux to copy U-Boot environment. But on
> > a new board (picked from the shelf) I don't have Linux and I should
> > set some U-Boot variables to run it.
>
> So you might prefer setting them as predefined in you configuration
> file, so when the u-boot binary finds no environment on flash (crc
> error) and it will use those values, until you saveenv new values.

I don't like to change U-Boot default configuration. The U-Boot
environment changes project by project. I want to avoid recompiling U-
Boot for each project. I'd like to have a single U-Boot application
and different environment saved as files.

> > I was thinking of a "U-Boot only" procedure, like md.b (to run on
> > the source board) and cp.b (to run on the destination board).
>
> You can unprotect, erase, and cp.b to the flash sector(s), once you
> have the binary image of the environment. You can extract such image
> from /dev/mtd in the running board and then use tftp (as you
> suggested) on the new board.

Yes, I think that is my way. Thank you all.

Best regards,
  Giuseppe Modugno