[U-Boot-Users] Delete all env vars except read onlys

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Feb 15 17:11:17 CET 2008

In message <m27ih6p68o.fsf at ohwell.denx.de> you wrote:

> As I hinted at in my other mail, git is my prime example of living up to
> the spirit of unix - and still many commands there, e.g. git-push need a
> '-f' to prevent clobbering costly changes inadvertently.

The important point is the "inadvertently". It is OK if you need an
overwrite flag for commands that in the normal course of action are
non-destructive, but in special situations are.

However, commands which are designed to cause "destructive" actions
don't ask:

* rm does not ask by default. Not even for "rm -r *"
* mkfs does not ask normally - it will happily kill the whole
  partition's content
* cp or mv will happily overwrite target files (assuming sufficient
  permissions)
etc.

The  "clearenv"  command  has  a  well-defined  purpose:  clear   the
environment.  Similar  like  "erase" will clear the flash. Or "cp" or
"mw" will overwrite even vital parts of the RAM. No  questions  being
asked.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Bus error -- please leave by the rear door.