[U-Boot-Users] Contribution: EHCI USB HC driver

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Fri Feb 29 18:24:10 CET 2008

Hi Marcel,

> Juniper Networks wrote a driver for the EHCI UCB HC and I'd like to
> contribute that back if there's interest. Besides a new piece of code,
> this also changes some of the common USB code so that high-speed
> devices and split-transactions are supported.

Cool!

> At this time the EHCI driver is exclusive in that there's no support
> for having the companion controller active. I presume this is one of
> the major themes for adding EHCI support, so that's definitely open
>  for discussion.
>
> Attached a patch with the common code changes as well as the EHCI
> driver itself. The patch does not contain any changes to get it built
> (i.e. included in libusb, etc). A seasoned U-Boot developer should
> have no problem playing with it, while the details are being worked
> out for getting this alongside a USB 1.1 HC driver.

Glancing over the patch I fail to see what hardware and configuration
you are using for your development.  Can you enlighten us on this?

> Comments and suggestions are welcome. Please let me know how best to
> move forward with adding this to U-Boot, provided there's interest.
> FYI,

I think this will have to go through Markus' USB tree, so I put him on
CC. Markus, could you perhaps add a branch in your repository to give
this (and the upcoming) patches a better visibility even during
development?

I am actually pretty happy, that finally someone is actively starting to
put effort into moving the usb support in U-Boot forward - and before
this gets interpreted wrongly - in my opinion Markus does a great job as
a USB maintainer and I definitely do not want lessen his work here, but
as we talked about a few times, most of his effort got sucked up in
maintaining the current code base.

So thanks again Marcel and I am looking forward to a shiny USB support
in U-Boot ;)

Cheers
  Detlev

--
BUGS:
  It is not yet possible to change operating system by writing to