[U-Boot-Users] Tftp command !!

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Thu Jul 10 15:24:12 CEST 2008

Dear Amit,

Preliminary comment: Wolfgang is lashing out at stupid disclaimers,
don't take it personally.  We all realize you didn't write the stupid
disclaimer and cannot remove it.

Amit Kumar wrote:
> Dear Wolfgang,
>
> Kindly read disclaimer properly or show to your lawyer.
>
> "This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
> intended solely for the use of the addressee(s)."

No it doesn't.  Your email was neither PRIVILEGED nor CONFIDENTIAL.

In the USofA, the term "privileged" as used in this context is a
specific type of communications with a lawyer who is in a formal, legal
way your (or your company's) representative.  This email clearly falls
outside of that category.

Email is *never* CONFIDENTIAL if it is sent unencrypted on an
unprotected network.  If it is encrypted and/or on a network internal to
your company or over a secured VPN, you may have a reasonable
expectation that the email is confidential within the bounds of your
company and/or the limitations of the encryption.  This email clearly
falls outside of that category.

Further, this email list is known to be archived by several servers
(e.g. sourceforge, gmane, nabble) which are then indexed and cached by
several search engines (e.g. google, yahoo, microsoft), not to mention
snapshotted by archivers (e.g. the wayback engine).  Anyone now and in
the future that has internet access can read it.  Obviously the list of
addressees does not include everyone in the present and definitely not
everyone in the future.

> You are not understanding the disclaimer at all. I am highly
> surprised. If your lawyer says that you are correct then as mentioned
> by you earlier you can report to management of my company.

If your company's legal disclaimer was actually written by a lawyer, and
I strongly suspect it was not, that lawyer is either totally ignorant of
the inherent characteristics of email or totally incompetent.  If the
former, he should be educated on the inherent characteristics of email
(see the analogy below).  If the latter, your company should replace him.

Rather than putting stupid useless disclaimers on non-PRIVILEGED,
non-CONFIDENTIAL emails, a competent lawyer would/should give competent
legal advice like DON'T EVER SEND PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
over a service that has no expectations of privacy or confidentiality
and "go medieval" on anybody that disregarded that advice.

As an analogy, sending PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL information over
email is *worse* than sending PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL information
written on a postcard and mailed out.  For a postcard, anybody between
your outbox and the recipient's inbox can read the postcard, *most* of
them *legally.*  This includes all of the mail handlers in your company,
all of the mail handlers in the route from your company to the
destination company (including any government security services,
especially if it crosses a border) and potentially industrial spies (OK,
*they* might be reading the postcard illegally, but legalities never
stop a good spy).

> You are preventing people like us from sharing information on this
> esteemed mailing list for which I think you are the moderator.

Relax.  The information is still being shared.

> Regards,
> Amit

HTH,
gvb