[U-Boot-Users] New processor named STLS

Ryan CHEN ryan.chen at st.com
Tue Jul 29 11:09:17 CEST 2008

Hi all,

We are developing a series of generic CPU processors named STLS for desktop PC applications. STLS processors are based on the Loongson CPU architecture licensed by STMicroelectronics from the Institute of Computing Technology (ICT), which is part of the Chinese Academy of Science. The STLS family is made up of 64-bit high-end processors that target applications requiring high levels of performances efficiency in terms of cost, power consumption and area.

The Loongson CPU architecture is MIPS III based and enables multiple levels of parallelism to boost computing performance. At instruction level, out-of-order execution and superscalar techniques allow STLS processors to schedule the execution of instructions for maximum throughput. At data level, STLS processors generate multiple results with single vector instructions using SIMD techniques.

STLS processors implement a superscalar, out-of-order execution pipeline with dynamic branch prediction and non-blocking cache. They also implement some fixed-point SIMD instructions by reusing the floating-point data paths.

Up to now, we have two processors named STLS2E and STLS2F. They are more low cost and power consumption than x86 CPU. And in the past, we only develop their bootloader with Pmon. But we think it's time to develop it for more flexible applications.

As you know, the instructions of the processors is similar to MIPS III but the architecture and hardware interface is totally different with generic MIPS. So we want to follow MIPS ARCH and create a special CPU branch named "STLS" for it. We have developed some codes based on this branch name but still don't submit them. And now we want to submit them to you. If it's possible, other developers could see them and write related codes for them.

Best Regards,
Ryan Chen