[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot and Linux on Walnut based board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 12 08:45:11 CEST 2008

Dear Brian,

in message <200806120104.m5C148Yk019956 at mail.corelis.com> you wrote:

> I'm trying to get the latest U-Boot 1.3.3 and Linux (any version)
> working on our custom board based on Walnut demo board. I have used
> U-Boot 1.0.0 and Linux 2.4.20 on our other similar board and that
> worked out well. However, a lot seems to have changed since then.

Indeed, these versions are really old. Must have been already used by
the Troglodytes or so.

> 1. U-Boot 1.3.3 works. But it does not boot the old Linux image or
> Linux 2.4.25 (latest 2.4?) compiled using ELDK 4.1

It should boot them just fine. What exacl;y are the commands you are
using, what your environment settings / boot areguments, and what the
error messages?

> 2. U-Boot 1.0.0 boots Linux 2.4.25 (latest 2.4?) compiled using ELDK 4.1.
>
> Then I found out that the kernel parameter passing has changed and I

No, not really. Only when you call for it.

> should use powerpc architecture instead of ppc. But Linux 2.4.25 does
> not have powerpc architecture. So, I'm now trying 2.6 kernel. Using
> linux-2.6-latest.tar.bz2 from ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/linux/. However,

Forget about FTP. Please use git instead. If you really want, you can
use the snapshot feature of the web interface to download a tarball
(but using real git is stongly preferred).

> the powerpc architecture does not have walnut.c for configuring the
> board. I need to customize it since our custom board does not have FPGA.

Recent versions do have support for the walnut board. Please ignore
the FTP server and download the current code from the git repository.

> What's the best way to build linux kernel that works on U-Boot 1.3.3?

Again: U-Boot 1.3.3 will boot your old 2.4 kernel just fine.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"No matter where you go, there you are..."          - Buckaroo Banzai