[U-Boot-Users] new to U-Boot, how do I get started for Atmel at91sam9261ek

Ken.Fuchs at bench.com Ken.Fuchs at bench.com
Fri Jun 13 23:49:28 CEST 2008

> > Jerry Van Baren wrote:

> >> If you received a u-boot binary for that board, you have
> >> the right to
> >> ask for a copy of the source that generated that u-boot
> >> binary and the
> >> company that distributed that u-boot binary (apparently
> >> Atmel) has the
> >> legal obligation to provide that at a reasonable cost to
> >> cover their
> >> distribution costs.  That is all part of the GNU General
> >> Public License.
> >>   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpl>
> >>
> >> There are Atmel employees on this list, perhaps they can
> >> speak to the
> >> issue more directly.

> Jerry Van Baren wrote:

> I received the following email from Ulf - it appears he is struggling
> with his phone/email and sent it directly to me only, not to
> the list.
> The one that really needed it was Vyas.  As expected, Vyas
> just needed
> to know where to look to get the source.

> Ulf Samuelsson via Jerry Van Baren wrote:

> > Atmel does not sell GPL
> > source.
> >
> > Check out www.Iinux4sam.org
> > for U-boot source.

There is a typo in the above URI.  It should be:

http://www.linux4sam.org/

> > A later version will be
> > downloaded when
> > You run buildroot,
> > bul  that is not shipped
> > with any systems.
> >
> > Has there not been SAM9261
> > patches sent in to the git
> > lately?

AT91SAM9261-EK should be available by now via git to the AT91
U-Boot git repository:

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-at91.git;a=summary

I'm sure you will be much happier with the improvements
of the git at91 code than linux4sam.org whose most current
code is still _appears_ to be based on U-Boot 1.2.0.
(There is a reference to 1.3.0, saying the port is incomplete.)

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs