[U-Boot] Linux booting speed up.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Nov 20 16:57:06 CET 2008

Dear Michele Venturi,

please keep the mailing list on Cc:

In message <908E0D8EBCBE4AAE9A5EFDCD66CE45A6 at ebneuro.intranet> you wrote:
> Many thanks for your prompt support and suggestions !
> I add comments I hope will be useful.
>
> 1)
> > But of course U-Boot can load and uncompress the  ramdisk  image  and
> > pass  the  address  of  the uncompressed image to the kernel. See the
> > FAQ.
>
> I found that this feature works, but the had to be enabled (on my old 1.1.2
> sources) for the
> CONFIG_AT91RM9200DK board
> target, or the Flash EEPROM to SDRAM.trasfer of uncompressed ramdisk image
> would be simply skipped...

This is intentional. It makes no sense to copy the image to RAM. The
uncompressor can read the compressed data from flash as well.

> This is true even for the recent u-boot-2008-tar.bz2 release:

As mentioned, this is intentional.

> Of course it should be changed in :
>
> #if defined(CONFIG_B2) || defined(CONFIG_EVB4510) ||
> defined(CONFIG_ARMADILLO) || defined(CONFIG_AT91RM9200DK)

No, it should not be changed. Instead, the Linux kernel should be
fixed to allow to take a compressed ramdisk from a flash address.

Again, as mentioned before: patches have been posted here several
times before.

> 2)
> > Also keep in mind that turning of the checksums (verify=no) helps a
> > bit.
> This feature works, but it seems to me that the usage of the environment
> variable
> "verify" is not documented in the DULG manual.

It seems to me that you did not search carefully. See at
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBootEnvVariables :

	verify: If set to n or no disables the checksum calculation
	over the complete image in the bootm command to trade speed
	for safety in the boot process. Note that the header checksum
	is still verified.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Always leave room to add an explanation if it doesn't work out.