[U-Boot] how can i change u-boot load address?

Roman Mashak romez777 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 14:36:50 CEST 2008

Hello

2008/10/7 Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de>:
>> I'm trying to understand how it's done on ARM --
>
> On ARM it's being done wrong  -  no  real  relocation  is  preformed;

What do you mean by "real relocation"? As per start.S bootcode is
copied from ROM to RAM.

> instead,  U-Boot is liked to a fixed address in RAM. The startup code
> (mostly assembler) can run from ROM (too).
However, this is possible if only startup code is in NOR flash.

> The problem with the ARM implementation is that the link  address  is
> fixed,  i. e. it cannot be adjusted to varying RAM sizes.
Usually one ports U-Boot on a board with predefined hardware layout,
i.e. flash, SDRAM and peripherals are fixed. If hardware changes, say
SDRAM size, no big deal to make two/three distinct u-boot images --
after all it ends up by changing TEXT_BASE only, as I understand.

--
Roman Mashak