[U-Boot] Linux does not boot from flash, but will from RAM

Curran, Tom Tom.Curran at Avnet.com
Thu Oct 9 15:35:57 CEST 2008

I am using u-boot on the Avnet V5FX30T (Xilinx FPGA, PPC440) eval board
to boot a Linux 2.6.27-rc4 kernel.  I can use u-boot to tftp the kernel,
ramdisk, and device tree blob to RAM and boot from there OK.  I copied
the kernel, ramdisk and blob to flash and verified those elements were
programmed in flash correctly with 'iminfo', but when I try to boot from
flash the boot process hangs at "Loading Ramdisk to 03d59000, end
03ec8f20 ... OK".  At this point u-boot will restart (after a
WDT-induced reset?) after a few minutes.  Interestingly enough, I can
boot from flash IF the ramdisk is already in RAM with a "bootm
$(kernel_flash_addr) $(ramdisk_ram_addr) $(blob_flash_addr)".  This
leads me to believe something is going wrong in the copying of the
ramdisk from flash to RAM.  Perhaps I am doing something wrong or missed
a step somewhere?  I have read the FAQ, but have not found anything
relevant.  Perhaps someone here has had this problem too and can offer a
solution?  Any help is appreciated.  Many thanks in advance!

--Tom