[U-Boot] Help building AT91 u-boot with Buildroot tools

Robert Schwebel r.schwebel at pengutronix.de
Fri Oct 10 21:48:16 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 10:13:04AM -0500, Otto Caldwell wrote:
> I am porting Linux to an Atmel at91rm9200-EK board.

Uhm, as far as I know, Linux works perfectly well on the EK.

> I've built the cross-compile tool chain using Buildroot, choosing the
> armeb (arm embedded) option during the build.

I don't know the buildroot cross compile scripts, but usually armeb is
arm *big endian*, which is not what you need for the 9260.

> I downloaded the AT91 custodian branch of u-boot from
> http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-at91.git;a=summary
> When I attempt to compile, I get following type of errors:
> armeb-linux-ld: failed to merge target specific data of file
> lib_arm/libarm.a(div0.o)
> armeb-linux-ld: drivers/mtd/nand_legacy/libnand_legacy.a(nand_legacy.o):
> compiled for a big endian system and target is little endian
>
> It finally stops with Error 1.

For the AT91SAM9260 you need a little endian toolchain, something like
arm-v4t oder arm-v5t. You can for example use the OSELAS.Toolchain from
our website (it has a v4t toolchain).

rsc
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9