[U-Boot] Read kernel image with nios2

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Tue Oct 21 15:40:43 CEST 2008

ivanchuklist ivanchu wrote:
> Hi list,
> I would like to know how u-boot read and copy the image of uclinux kernel in
> a nios2 platform.
> Where can i find information about the execution flow of u-boot, code of
> commands, etc.?
> Regards,
> Ivan.

Hi Ivan,

Start by learning to ask good questions:

Clone the git repository.  Read the top level README and applicable
READMEs in the doc subdirectory.

Read the source code.  The execution flow probably starts in
cpu/nios2/start.S (yes, that was a tinge of sarcasm).

Reading and copying of the image is going to involve common/cmd*.c
(common/cmd_bootm.c) and probably common/image.c.  There are a lot of
other pieces involved since there are many ways of reading and copying
images.

Ask specific questions as you progress in your understanding and code
spelunking and we will be happy to answer them.  Ask ambiguous ("what is
the meaning of life") questions and they will be ignored because we
cannot give a specific answer to an ambiguous question.

Always remember: the quality of the answer is directly proportional to
the quality of the question.  I've found that many times, by the time I
have the question thought through properly, I've found the answer by myself.

Best regards,
gvb