[U-Boot] RFC - How to speed up multiplexed input between serial and network?

Bigler, Stefan Stefan.Bigler at keymile.com
Wed Oct 29 15:02:02 CET 2008

Dear Mr. Denk

Thank you for the detailed answer.

> Dear "Bigler, Stefan",
>
> In message
> <D839955AA28B9A42A61B9181506E27C4012E18DB at SRVCHBER1212.ch.keymile.net>
you
> wrote:
> >
> > In the file common/console.c we added hooks to measure the time for
> > tstc() execution.
> > The measured time are:
> > serial-driver     3 Microseconds
> > nc		     15 Milliseconds
>
> Let's start asking ourself why there is such a big difference.
>
> The serial driver just checks that status bits in some hardware
> registers. This is pretty fast.
>
> The nc driver however actually runs a NetLoop() call, i. e. it
> performs some active polling. THis takes much more time.

This is true and all configuration e.g. ipaddr are reread again and
again.

> > There are 2 possibilities to solve the problem:
> > a) make the netconsole faster
> > b) make serial more "robust" and allow more latency
>
> There may be other options as well, like making the multiplexing a
> little more intelligent. See below for an idea or two.
>
> > The better solution is of course to make the netconsole faster. But
can
> > we reach 100 Microseconds?
>
> Probably not. But do we really have to?
>
> > We can reduce it (as already done e.g. accelerate the readout of
> > env-variables). To accelerate by factor 150 we need to do major
changes
> > e.g. read-out the env if changed so we need a mechanism to see this.
>
> Indeed environment variable handling could be accelerated a  lot  for
> example by using a has table for in-ram storage instead of the linear
> search list we use now.
>
> > On the other hand we can enhance the serial driver to "absorb" e.g.
one
> [...]
> > -----------
> > I do not see a good chance to be able to reduce the processing time
in
> > the netconsole below 100 Microseconds.
> >
> > I expect copy/paste to work for a line (128 characters).
> >
> > So I propose to enhance the serial driver.
>
> I really do not like this approach.
>

> But - do we really need such a "fix"?  Lets step back a bit.
>
> As I understand it, the problem results from the fact  that  you  are
> trying  to  always  alternate  calls  to  polling  the serial and the
> network console. This makes sense in the  idle  state,  when  we  are
> waiting for input from any of the possible input devices. But does it
> still  make  sense  to interrupt the serial code with network polling
> while a (high-speed) data transfer is going on on the serial line?
>
> I don't think so.
>
> From what I've gathered from the existing design,  you  don't  really
> care  about  guaranteeing  any  deterministic  behaviour in case both
> input channels transfer data at the same time. If such a simultaneous
> transaction happens, your input data stream (for  both  channels)  is
> likely to get corrupted (without any error indication).
>
> I interpret the fact that your code does not care about  this  as  an
> indication  that  such situations are very untypical for your mode of
> usage - but then why do we need to provide code that focuses on  such
> a case?
>
> So my question is: does it really make sense to continue polling  the
> network console while a serial data transfer is in progress? [*]
>
> I do not think so.
>
> [*] Of course the same is true for the other direction  -  but  there
>     situation  is  much easier becahuse (a) the serial driver is very
>     fast and (b) the nc code already handles multi-byte data packets.
>

> My suggestion is to make the multiplexing more intelligent instead of
> making the serial driver more complex. The nice thing  with  this  is
> that  you  probably  still get the same results (actually even better
> ones as the artificial 128 byte line lengt limit can be avoided), and
> the changes are only in the new code, i. e. users  who  do  not  need
> such I/O multiplexing will not be affected.
>
> I think it should be fairly simple to implement something similar  to
> the VTIME feature for non-canonical reads in the Unix serial drivers
> (see "man tcsetattr"):
>
> - In idle mode, all configured input devices are polled in a
>   round-robin manner (as it is done now).
>
> - As soon as a character is received on the serial line, a  timestamp
>   is  taken. As you calculated, one character at 115 kbps takes about
>   100 us on the wire. Within a window of (for  exmaple)  500  us  (or
>   about 5 character times) now polling of all other I/O ports will be
>   skipped.
>
> This should give you raw serial driver  performacne  while  a  serial
> data  transfer  is running, while keeping functionality for all other

First we need to have a good and accepted solution to reduce the time in
NetLoop e.g. read only the env when changed. Then the polling is not
anymore critical path.
The main problem from my point of view is the echo of the received data
to serial and also to nc. This is done now immediately, character by
character and this takes time (more than we have).

Am I right when I say that between a read from character getc() until
the next call of getc() we have 100 Microseconds to do all the required
processing otherwise we lose data?

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk
>
> --